Note: It is hoped that the following
informations would help all our Balavikas students and other aspirants to
know the Divine Lord Sai’s life and messages in a nutshell and are
intended for fact-finding reading.
QUIZ ON ‘THE DIVINE LIFE AND MESSAGE OF SRI SATHYA SAI BABA’
1. Where and when was Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba born?
Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba was born on 23rd November 1926 at Puttaparthi
in Anantapur District.
2. Give the details related to His birth - Month, Star, etc.
Baba was born on Monday in the holy month of Karthik (Karthik Somavaara)
of the year Akshaya in the ascendance star "Aarudhra".
3. In which clan was He born?
Baba was born in the Rathnaakara family of Bharadhvaja gothra and
4. Why did He choose to be born in that family alone?
A certain ancestor of Rathnaakara family, Venkaavadhuutha prayed to the
Lord of the Universe that He should be born in his family.
5. What are the names of His parents?
(Mother's name) Eashvaramba and (father's name) Pedda Venkama Raju.
6. Why was Baba named as Sathya Narayana?
Baba was born after mother Eashvaramma had taken the Prasadam of Sri
Sathyanarayan Vratham which her mother-in-law had brought from the next
7. Who is Kondama Raju?
Kondama Raju was the grandfather of Baba.
8. What were the mysterious intimations of the impending Divine
Before Baba was born, a Thambuura, a stringed musical instrument which was
kept leaning against a wall started twanging and a drum started beating
automatically, producing celestial music.
9. What did the women in the labour room find in the bed clothes on which
the child was put?
They found a cobra under the bed clothes.
10. What was the original name of Puttaparthi?
11. What is the meaning of Puttaparthi?
Putta means ant-hill - place full of ant-hills.
12. What is the name of the river that flows in Parthi?
13. What are the temples that we find in Parthi?
Venugopalaswamy temple, Sathyabhaama temple, Anjaneya temple and the
temple of Shiva.
14. What is the significance related to the temple of Shiva?
The place where Shiva temple is constructed is the birth place of Baba.
15. How many brothers and sisters does Baba have?
Two brothers and two sisters; elder brother is Seshama Raju, younger
brother is Jaanakiraamayya; sisters: Venkamma and Paarvathamma.
16. What was the name given to Baba as a boy?
Brahmajnaani, Biddalaguru (Guru of children).
17. What were the noble qualities that one could find in Baba even as a
Baba was kind and compassionate even at the tender age of four and five.
He sought out the maimed, the blind and the decrepit, fed and gave them
clothes. He would plead against the killing of a fowl or chicken for curry
at home. He was against all sports and games that caused pain and cruelty.
He was reticent and reserved, but always cheerful.
18. Give one instance to illustrate the quality of desirelessness in Baba
even as a child?
Baba's grandfather used to purchase yards of clothes for his
grandchildren, during festivals. He used to ask the children to choose the
cloth they liked. Baba never bothered, but just took whatever was kept
19. Even as a boy, Baba never considered, doing any work as mean or below
his dignity. Give example.
Baba had only one pair of dress. He used to wear a towel, wash his shirt
and knicker, dry them up, put live coal in a brass vessel, iron them, fold
them and keep them under a steel trunk.
20. In which places did Baba study?
Puttaparthi, Bukkapatnam, Kamalapuram, Uravankonda.
21. What did Baba do as soon as he went to school?
He used to gather the children at school under a tree. He would keep a
picture or an idol with flowers, conduct Pooja, Bhajan and perform
Aarathi. At the end of the session, he distributed Prasadam. He used to
take the Prasadam out from his empty bag.
22. Who were the teachers who considered Baba as a Divine wonder child?
Mehboob Khan, Subbannaachaar and Kondappa.
23. What was the first divine power that Baba showed in the school?
One of the teachers made Sathya stand on the bench presuming that he was
absent minded. When the period was over and the next teacher who had to
take class in that room came, he found the previous teacher mysteriously
glued to his seat. The teacher who entered the class was Mehboob Khan. He
understood the situation, asked Sathya to sit down. Then the teacher could
stand up himself, without the chair accompanying him.
24. Baba used to gather many children and organise Bhajan session. What
was the name of that Bhajan Group?
Pandari Bhajan Group. It consisted of 18 children who wore yellow colored
25. Why did Baba organise Bhajan sessions?
In order to make the people interested in sacred Bhajans and prevent them
from going to cheap musical sessions. But there was another important
purpose, to drive away from a locality any epidemic disease.
26. What was the name of the dancer in whose stead Baba danced?
27. What was the unique skill in dance demonstrated by Baba?
Rishyendhramani used to keep a bottle balanced on her head, dance to
music, and finally pick up with her teeth a hand kerchief from the floor.
But Baba instead of picking up a kerchief with the teeth could pick up a
needle with his eyelids.
28. When the District Collector wanted to pin the prize medal and shake
hands, why did Baba refuse?
The collector wanted to pin the medal on to the dress of the dancer and
shake hands. But Sathya refused to shake hands and receive the medal.
Since he was in the role of a girl dancer, he thought it would be proper
to act according to the role. He could not permit a man to touch him.
29. What was the name of the play-let written by Baba as a boy?
"Cheppinattu chesthaara" - will you do as you say?
30. Who is Kota Subbanna?
Kota Subbanna was a businessman at Kamalaapuram. Sathya would compose
songs set them to catchy tunes on a newly arrived product to advertise the
product. Subbanna would engage some boys to go round the village streets
with placards and announcing the product and singing in chorus, Sathya's
ditties. In exchange of this help Subbanna used to supply Sathya whatever
he needed in day to day life. Sathya even at that age seemed to have
projected the idea of earning while learning. He did not want to be a
31. What are the names of students who sat on either side of Baba?
Ramesh and Sudhir.
32. To which place did the boys of Kamalaapuram School go for service?
33. What is the reply given by Baba when his friend offered him scout
Sathya wrote to his friend and classmate thus: "True friendship should
never be based on give and take. The bond that should exist is love. True
friendship should be from heart to heart".
34. How could Baba manage to get money to go to service camp?
By selling the books of the previous class to a poor harijan boy.
35. What did Baba do after that to procure money?
Baba participated in Budabuda kata.
36. When Baba returned from the service camp, what did he bring for his
Sathya brought Kumkum (red powder), haldi (turmeric), bangles and flowers
(they are usually given to married women)
37. Why was his brother angry with Baba?
The family depended on Sathya for supply of fresh water. He used to bring
water from a distant well. Sathya's absence from home to participate in
the Service camp, inconvenienced the family.
38. Who was the teacher who loved Baba very much in Uravakonda?
39. What is the significance of the date 20-5-1940?
Baba got up early in the morning, called the neighbors and relatives,
materialized and distributed delicious Prasadam. He asked the people to
wash their feet and come in for worship.
40. How did Baba's father threaten him?
Sathya's father wanted to teach his son a lesson and put an end to the
strange and hysterical chapter. He armed himself with a stick and shouted
at Sathya: "Are you a God, a ghost or a madcap?"
41. What was Baba's reply?
Baba said: "I am Sai Baba. I belong to Aapasthamba Sutra. I am of
Bhaaradhvaja Gothra or lineage. I have come to ward off your troubles.
Your ancestor Venkaavadhuutha prayed that I should be born in your family.
So I have come."
42. How did Baba prove that he was Sai Baba?
He threw a handful of jasmine flowers on the floor. To the utter amazement
of one and all, the flowers on the ground re-arranged themselves into
letters in Telugu, "Sai Baba".
43. What happened in Hampi-Viruupaaksha temple?
Sathya accompanied his brother Seshamaaraju and many others to Hampi. They
went to Viruupaaksha temple. Sathya preferred to stand outside, while
others went in for worship. The puujari or priest was performing
camphor-Aarathi to the deity of the temple. To the surprise of all, they
saw the smiling face of Sathya, and not the stone image. Seshamaaraju had
his own suspicion. He came out only to find Sathya standing.
44. When and where did Baba declare that He is the Avatar of the Age?
On 20th October, 1940 in Uravakonda, in a place adjacent to the house of
the Excise Inspector Mr. Aanjaneyulu.
45. What happened when a photographer took a snap of Baba as He sat on a
It turned out to be the image of Shirdi Sai.
46. What was the first Bhajan song taught by Baba?
"Maanasa bhajare, gurucharanam" - meditate in your mind on the feet of the
Guru. That can take you across the sea of Samsaara or transmigratory life.
47. Who is Karanam Subbamma?
Karanam Subbamma was the wife of the Karanam or village officer of
Puttaparthi. She recognised in Baba even at the tender age, of his
divinity, and can be called the foster mother of Baba. She used to prepare
food for the devotees who came to see Baba. She took care of Baba with
rare love and affection beyond words.
48. What was the miracle performed by Baba at Uravakonda?
A jutkawaallaah (driver of horse drawn cart) lost his horse. He came to
know of the rare powers of the miracle boy and approached Sathya. Sathya
told him that his horse was safely grazing at the place nearby. The
jutkawaallaah did find the horse.